Friday, December 21, 2007

"You may kiss the bride...but please don't squeeze the Charmin dress."

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us,"


Hey y'all. I guess this is the southern edition of the Afternoon Update. Whenever I read that phrase, I automatically hear Paula Dean saying it in my head. God bless that woman.
This is also the last blog I will dedicate to single Jonny, but also this one goes out to his lovely fiancee as well. I'm ready to get drunk!

So anyways, I was planning on keeping this light today, since Fridays are much better spent day dreaming about your weekend. Swinging in your hammock, sippin on a Carona or mai tai, whatever. The fact of the matter is, its winter and you aint gonna be doin nothing. But really I feel like it is necessary to talk about this Jamie Lynn Spears thing more. (also quickly and addendum from yesterday, Jamie Lynn is a Nickolodeon kid, while Vanessa Hudgens and older sister Britney are products of Disney. I apologize for not distinguishing between the two.)

I know this is not an orginal conversation, and yes I got it from an article I read, BUT I feel like this story, since it is regarding such a popular "celeb" could mandate a new set of laws for statutory rape. I am not saying it should be legal or anything, but I feel like there shuold be some sort of uniformity in regards to age differences in every state. There are no more Puritan vs. Catholic states, all laws don't have to be different just because. Now I know also that the Federal Gov't cannot do anything because it would be a violation of states rights, and blah blah blah, before you know it the South's in a stir and its the Civil War part deux.

However, if you look at the Genarlow Wilson case from Georgia, why should it be any different from the Jamie Spears case? If you don't know what I'm talking about, Jamie Spears is 16 and pregnant. The father is her longtime 18-year old boyfriend.Also you are an ignoramus.
Note: On Msnbc, he is said to be 19, while on CNN he is 18...interesting.
Why shouldn't this guy who fathered her child go to prison? She admits that it was consensual sex, but so did the girl Genarlow Wilson was with, she testified in court! but because of the state's laws, he was still guilty. I am not taking the race angle on this one (but obvioulsy you can), however I do not think it is fair for a 17-18 year old to be able to have sex in one state, and not in another. I am not starting a movement suggesting that all teens start having sex, even though they already are, but its almost hypocrisy that some people this is just a "Hollywood story" and for others its up to 10 years in prison and being labeled as a sex offender. And in both cases it was the same, consensual situation.

Discuss.

Can't type up my thought on the rest today, we are closing down early. But I will leave you with my list of other stories for today and perhaps some links.

Family lost in woods- http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/20/family.found/index.html

This is not a real riot, try going to Maryland after a Duke game (atleast in the good old days)- http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/20/neworleans.protests/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

UNC players sexaully assaulted, interesting flip-flop of events
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22349037/

Shock treatment prank, this is messed up- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22347088/

Stephen Colbert has been named the Celebrity of the Year. Kudos

Enjoy your holiday vacations,

Keepin it real from the loop.

No comments: